Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Very Bostick Christmas – Meeting the Moses Clan

Sorry for the delay – I had been busy getting back in step with work again. But judging by the amount of messages I got reminding me that I am Roman’s Mommy (and blogger) first and employee second, I figured I needed to get back to business!

Where was I? Oh – that’s right – Christmas weekend. After a beautiful Christmas dinner and time with the family, Friday brought yet another family get-together, this time with the Moses crew. This would be my brother’s father’s family who live all over the east coast, but are primarily here in Atlanta. The lone sibling not in town is Aunt Bernadine (the giver of previously mentioned “Band in a Drum”….more on that later!). Aunt B and her twin daughters Courtney and Pier, plus her husband Howard were in town for the holiday and I had to make sure Master Roman had a chance to meet them during their stop.

We headed to SW Atlanta and got there just in time to see the family before they headed out to some post-Christmas sales. Aunt B got to hold her munchkin – she writes me all the time about the pictures that she puts up in her office of him!

The twins also got to meet their cousin – and I’ll be damned if Roman doesn’t look like he belongs to them and not to me!

Aunt B always sends such thoughtful gifts and this year was no exception. In addition to the Band in a Drum – she sent him a constellation turtle, which reflects the stars onto the ceiling at night exactly as they are seen in the sky by constellations. Very cool – Roman couldn’t stop trying to grab the stars off the walls!

She also gave him a copy of one of my fave books – Puff the Magic Dragon – complete with CD and full color pics. Roman has gotten very into books lately, and I mean that beyond just wanting to eat them. His favorite at the moment is a recommendation from Auntie Rhonda – So Big w/ Elmo – that Grandma Pat got for him. We read this, along with Goodnight Moon and a collection of Sandra Boynton books before bedtime.

The best gift from Aunt B – far and away – was one that truly epitomizes Christmas in my mind. Locally, a family she knows is having a hard time financially and has been struggling to stay in school (she is a teacher, her husband is a professor as well). Aunt B brought bags of groceries for the family in the names of all of her nephews this Christmas, and sent them each a card to know what was done on their behalf. I loved the idea so much that I think I might do that myself next year!

Thanks to the Moses/Duncan family for making it a great Christmas with family!

Stay tuned for our trip to DC for Christmas!

No comments: