Friday, January 2, 2009

A Very Bostick Christmas, Part II - Introducing the fastest reindeer in Santa's fleet

An uneventful Christmas Eve night (thank God for sleeping soundly!)gave way to a beautifully warm Christmas morning. Roman roused the house at about 7:30 with his usual "call" and I quickly grabbed the camera so I could catch his morning antics on his first Christmas.


After he got out the crib, though, he wasn't quite in the "photo" mood.

(If you’ll notice, he is wearing his “Baby’s First Christmas” pajamas, a little number I picked up from the consignment store near Gymboree. I saw two or three of these in the stores at about $20/outfit…this little number was $3. Gotta love consignment!)

Anyway, after the video, we gathered in the room and Maurice prayed over the family for our first Christmas. It was a great way to welcome in the holiday and Roman even stayed still for most of it, which is a deviation from his usual commotion when we pray in the mornings. Afterwards, we headed downstairs to listen to Christmas songs and hang out in front of our tree. I only WISH Maurice would let me post the video I have of him singing Jingle Bells...HILARIOUS!

Though the tee was adorned with beautiful ornaments, and a few wrapped gifts for Master Roman only. Before you feel sorry for Maurice and I, we actually decided in advance as a family (extended as well) to skip adult gifts and just give to the kids. Normally, I hate the idea of not being able to spend my days planning what to give to whom, but this year it was a welcomed change. Still, it felt kinda weird to see just a few items under the tree on Christmas morning. My plan was to blast past this with an awesome first Christmas breakfast, but I didn’t get to the store before they closed Christmas Eve and was left only with a few eggs and some Oscar Meyer turkey slices. Luckily, my parents invited us for breakfast so we wouldn’t be too far from our desired tradition.
Before we left for their house, we let Roman open one of his gifts under the tree. It was a drum set from Aunt Bernadine – actually, its called a “Band in a Drum” bc it has 7 instruments that fit into a portable plastic drum – which he immediately became BFF with. I can’t tell you the irony that my Aunt Bernadine would get this for Roman, knowing he was destined to be noisy enough, with Maurice and I as parents. (I actually grilled her when we caught up the next day and she explained her madness!)
At Nana and Big Daddy’s house, Roman got his second gift from them, another walking toy. This one, however, converted into a scooter. BIG reviews from the little guy. Of course, he wanted to get on it immediately, so Daddy had to cut breakfast short and put it together for him. Once it was assembled, he was up and running. Literally.

There was also a lifesized stuffed dog from “Auntie” Rhonda – my parent’s neighbor, and bibs and clothes from Ms. Clarrissa, also a neighbor. The dog became a great pillow for the after breakfast nap.

With breakfast done, Mommy and I started cooking a few side dishes for the Christmas dinner to be served at my mother-in-law’s later that night. Afterwards, all of us (including Ann the Great) headed to Decatur to celebrate with the rest of the family.

It was a packed house at Grandma Pat’s and everyone was in great spirits. Despite having barely enough time to plan it all, Grandma Pat pulled off a great Christmas dinner, complete with usual suspects and new comers, plus Roman’s new staple, cranberry sauce. He had some at Thanksgiving, but it was clearly a bigger hit for Christmas.


After dinner, we had the big gift exchange for the kids in front of the fireplace. Roman made out like a bandit, getting great gifts like these:

Clothes from Auntie Sherrelle and Uncle James and crew
A gift card for Babies R Us for our
new stroller from Auntie Rita
and lots of clothes from Grandma Pat, plus books and stuffed animals (didn’t get a picture of them all one is an Ebee…suppose to be a great learning tool for babies).

But the winner of the day was clearly Uncle John’s Vtec Walker. Not only can you walk with it, but its got flashing LED (BIG plus to Roman) and tons of musical options. It also has a sitting and standing position, but I bet you can guess which one he liked best! Thanks Uncle John! Again, Daddy was put to the test to assemble, and then he was off and to the races.

So do you get the theme of this Christmas? Yup – all the elders are hell bent on getting my little one to walk as soon as possible. They say its because he really wants to, and you can tell by how much he pulls up. I think its payback for how much drama we caused them once we learned how to walk. My mother tells the story of how, at less than a year, I was walking so much that they had to put me in those sack pajamas (like the ones Maggie wears on the Simpsons) to keep tabs on me and try to slow me down. Yeah, you guessed it, didn’t work!

We left late in the evening and took a very excited, but very tired, Roman Isaiah home from his first Christmas. Though the day with family was at an end, we had to rush home and prepare for more family fun planned for the weekend. Roman and I had plans to visit my brother’s extended family in SW Atlanta so they could meet the little guy on Friday, then Roman, Maurice and I were scheduled to travel to DC to spend Post-Christmas with my brother and his family, plus Auntie Rhonda and Uncle Cac and Auntie Jennifer. I started to refer to the holiday as a “Puffy Christmas” – can’t stop, won’t stop. (Yes, I know its cheesy, but fitting)

Even though he was surely too young to remember the details, I tucked him in that night prayerful that his first Christmas was great for him not just for the gifts, but for the special time he spent with all his family. And despite not getting all my traditions started (or even remembering what they all were the next day!), I can honestly say I wouldn’t have wanted the day to go any other way.

*2 more parts to go….stay tuned for a visit to the Moses clan in Atlanta and a very merry DC Christmas revival coming soon!*

No comments: