Wednesday, January 14, 2009

These are a few of his favorite things....

So I know this entry was suppose to be about our trip to DC, but I thought I would share a short entry that is sort of related to Christmas, but not. Its about toys, and our son’s interest in them. Or lack thereof. Despite the numerous toys Roman has accumulated in his short life, some of his favorites have turned out to be very “everyday” items. I had heard this from all parents – not to waste money on toys bc kids fall in love with regular stuff like boxes and pans and your favorite shoes. But until I saw it up close, I didn’t fully understand…..The videos are short clips of him enjoying his favorite items, so peruse them at your leisure and you’ll see the simplicity of infants!
Fave toy #1 – Camera/Cellphone
This is a given from any kid, I think. They like the shininess and the noise they make, but also aren’t easily fooled by alternatives. We bought Roman this phone to fool him, to no avail. Now I know its a little big, but it rings on its own, lights up AND has my recorded voice! Yeah, he played with it all of 15 min. Instead, he found great joy, as only Roman can, in things as basic as the camera CASE.

Fave toy #2 – Bath items
This is a recently new phenomenon that comes from who knows where. Whenever bathing my son, you have to give him all (not some, ALL) of the items you are using to wash him. So bath soap, shampoo, and best of all, the stream of water from the faucet. He has learned to adore all things bath related. But I knew we had entered a new love affair when he woke up one morning and went directly to his tub….and dragged it out of the bathroom. (Didn’t get the dragging on tape, but I did catch the playing once it emerged!)

Fave toy # 3 – Toilet Paper
This interest was born of the bathroom ritual, when I tried to distract Roman from holding all of the soap in the world by showing him how the toilet paper roll moved. BIG mistake. Not only did he drop all the soaps/shampoos, he spun every single sheet of toilet paper off the roll in pure bliss. Now it’s a nightly ritual that he must play with the spool

Take it from me, nothing is more entertaining than to watch a child entertain himself with the most basic of things. Its beautiful to know that they are still innocent and excited by simple pleasures. That is, unless you spent a fortune buying them items to occupy their time. No worries – just do like me, keep the receipt and return the fake phone. For your own sake.

No comments: