Thursday, December 18, 2008

Neighborhood Watch

If you’ve read the recent blogs or visited with Roman lately, you know his new favorite past time is standing. Actually, not just standing, but pulling up and standing and cruising around. I think he’s really getting into the whole ability to see the world from a whole new angle, and honestly, I get where he’s coming from. It must be pretty boring looking at the world from a sitting or laying position for 7+ months. Now that he’s got the freedom to change it up, I guess it’s his prerogative. (head nod to Bobby Brown).


One afternoon, my mother called me from home to tell me about something new Roman was doing. She’s good like that – she knows that it kills me to be away from him all day at work and miss out on seeing him learn new things, so she generally tells me right away so I can see when I get home. Today’s call was hard to understand, because my mother was laughing so hard. She informed me that my son had found windows, and with windows, the joy of spying on the neighbors. Apparently, my mother was teaching him how to pull up on the windowsill when he noticed some folks walking outside and was instantly hooked. For 15 minutes, he stood and watched cars, people, dogs and other various activity take place, all the while looking like a curious but nosy neighbor. When my mother tried to move him away, he fussed terribly. So when I came home, I found him glancing out the glass with a curiously accusatory look on his face, like he was just waiting for someone to mess up. Sorta like that skit on In Living Color, with the lady on the stoop. Ya’ll know who I mean.



Anyways, later that night, I took him to his room where he immediately found more windows and peered out into the night intently. When I tried to take him to his bath, he protested until I put him back down for him to peer at the gate in front of our house to see what was going on. See for yourself:


Personally, I narrated for another 15 minutes after I stopped the tape and not once did he move or acknowledge me. He was in his own world. I pretended he was the blue haired lady in Women of Brewster’s Place who kept yelling “I seent ya, I seent ya!”. Hilarious – at least to me.

No comments: