Monday, December 8, 2008

When "being mobile" has nothing to do with your phone


Many of you know this, but Roman has started to assert his independence through movement. Namely crawling, if you can call it that, but also in his need to pull up on everything and show you how he can stand. The crawling has been interesting. It started about a month ago as a low belly, quazi-military crawl (picture the actors in Platoon) and has now evolved into a crazy version of the Worm that you saw people do at break-dancing parties back in the day. This is primarily bc Roman doesn’t believe that you should move your knees once your on them…he thinks you should actually only push off of your feet and drag yourself on your arms. We initially worried, but it was so damn funny, worry quickly turned to amusement. See for yourself:


As for the standing, this is a fairly recent phenomenon. I came in his room one morning and found him standing up, holding onto the crib bars and surveying all around him like the ruler that he is. When he saw me watching him in awe, he simply let go with one hand and pointed at me, as if to say, “You – go get my breakfast whilst I relish the land that surrounds me”. Needless to say, I got his breakfast.

Apparently, the standing is born out of my parent’s desire to teach him how to walk early, since he seems to be annoyed by crawling despite it being his only means to movement. I was an early walker – I started around 10 months – and my parents tried to slow me down by putting me in those pajamas with no feet. You know the ones – they make Maggie Simpson wear them and it creates in a child the ability to do a quick shuffle while balancing themselves. Its amusing people, but please, don’t do it to your kids. They may end up like me!

So Nana and Big Daddy started giving Roman things he could pull up on to practice standing. First the pack and play sides, then the outside of his Exersaucer, and even the sofa. But nothing compares to his first love for climbing – his laundry basket. If ever you are called upon to watch Roman (and we call lots of folks, so this is not totally unheard of) feel free to use this plastic apparatus to provide him hours of entertainment and an easy way to wear him out.


I think he might become a judge – he beats things like he’s carrying a gavel!

All of this apparently points to the fact that our baby is growing up and becoming a big boy who one day will walk and talk and do all the things big boys do. In the meantime, all I can do is tape him learning and plan to use it as leverage when he starts dating some hussy that I don’t like.

2 comments:

mikecraig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mikecraig said...

that crawling thing kinda looks like me after a rough night on the town...and at my age, that really only consist of me staying out past 11...keep it coming..