Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A "Family" Affair

So Maurice and I both come from pretty small families, which means Roman also has a pretty small, immediate family. Save for my brother (who lives in DC) and brother-in-law’s families, its not a big group when it comes to cousins for him. Which is why I love that, in addition to his biological cousins, two of my best friends have little boys that Roman will grow up being close with even though they aren't nearby.

The first is my girlfriend Rhonda, who’s son Charles is 6 months older than Roman. Charles has been, for a while, a measuring stick of sorts for Roman, who wears Charles' hand-me-downs, reads his book recommendations, watches his DVD favorites (Choo-Choo Soul is still a classic!) and generally lives by the advice that Charles’ mother and I hash out during our daily morning drive-talks. Charles turned 2 this September 7th, same b-day as the hubby, so I scheduled a trip to fly up to DC for his birthday bonanza to ensure the two have time together.

We flew in the day before to spend some QT with my brother’s kids, who each adore Roman and have had the chance to see him some in the last year due to travel both ways by us and them. (See pic from our house a few months back when they visited). They know Roman loves airplanes (by now, who DOESN’T?) and brought him a great plane that even makes noise and lights up. No explaination needed on his excitement.

Then we were off to the party that Saturday afternoon, but clearly unprepared for the “fun house” Charles’ mother had prepared for us. Why, you ask? B/c Rhonda’s Aunt Gail owns not one, not two, but THREE bounce houses! Yeah, this is the woman you want on your block as a kid. Roman was hesitant at first but took to the toys like a champ.
Later, it was time to cut cake and sing to Charles, but as you can….someone did NOT like their birthday hat.



Roman and Ethan had a blast on the push toys, with Roman trying to maneuver around his big cousin, who loved being the “bigger boy” for once.
The trip didn’t last long bc we had to head up to NY to see the newest addition to our “extended” family. BFF Janpeg and hubby Nic just had a bounding baby boy named Jackson James Steele this past August (the 6th, to be exact) and I could not wait to get up there and introduce Roman to his “little brother”. Instead of flying to NY, we decided to ride the evening train from Union Station, assuming Roman would sleep the whole way on the 8pm departure. Uhhh, not sure what we were smoking, but 3 ½ hours later, Maurice and I were delirious from lack of sleep and Roman was calling every passing train Thomas. When Uncle Nic scooped us from Penn Station, Roman proceeded to mark the trip back to the house in Long Island by reciting the letters he saw on all the shiny buildings. There is no video footage of this due to our sheer exhaustion and utter amazement at his lack of sleep. He outlasted both of us and finally was knocked out at 11:30pm….and up the next morning at, you guessed it, 7:15am.

As Godparents to Roman, Peg and Nic have been at all walks of his life, including his christening and b-day party, which was the last time they saw him. He’s grown a bunch since then, but being able to share the time with them and their new bundle of joy was priceless. That is, for me. Roman, on the other hand, took a little *ahem* getting use to for baby Jackson, especially when Mommy was carrying baby and not Roman. I have never seen such jealousy!




But after a day, he was ready to be the bigger man and even let me take Jackson out of his carseat and hold him (while he hovered nearby to make sure I didn’t run off and leave him!) Isn't he just the cutest thing you've ever seen? In his usual newborn stage, I didn't get many pics with his eyes open, but these few were classic! Baby Jackson is a little too small for he and Roman to take pics together, but all the girls agree that the day when we can get all 3 of the boys in a photoshoot will be unforgettable!



I can't wait to watch them grow together, learn together and to share such precious memories with two of the most important people in my life. I wasn't blessed to have sisters of my own to share the experience of motherhood with...but my girlfriends (and their babies) suit me just fine!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Aww - this left me teary. Very sweet and so cute! Our photo shoot in the spring is going to be fabulous. I'm thinking we need to hire Derek Blanks :)