Thursday, April 9, 2009

Weekend at Bernie's



If you haven’t seen the movie “Weekend at Bernie’s”, go rent it. Not because it has anything to do with this past weekend’s trip to my dad’s for Roman and Maurice, but because it’s a damn funny movie and a cult 80's classic. This past weekend, however, was close to being as funny, and my wonderful husband was sweet enough to video and take pics while I was out of town at my college reunion (yeah UVA), so I would still be able to post and enjoy.

So the trip was planned primarily because my hubby’s back was still pretty bad, and with me out of town for a few days, he wasn’t sure if he could handle caring for little man in all of his energetic glory. Enter “Big Daddy” (that is the name my father chose for himself in the grandparent naming process years ago. And while I still can’t say it with a straight face, I’m not sure there’s a better name for him!). Understand that Big Daddy had been looking for an excuse to get the guys together, especially since Nana is out of town. Naturally, when he heard I was leaving town and Maurice needed some help with Roman, he jumped on it.
For those who haven’t seen it, my parents have a really great house – one that is perfect for anyone with a bad back (no stairs and lots of available, comfy beds) or a particularly busy 1-year-old (Roman has more toys there than anywhere else!). Maurice opted to stay out there Saturday night and take advantage of the extra hands…and the huge flat screen to watch the tourney games!

Roman is no stranger to Big Daddy and Nana’s, having spent the better part of 6 months there before school started in earnest. My Dad and Maurice took Roman out to the front driveway to practice those walking skills on concrete – which is always a guaranteed laugh.

They also enjoyed some R&R by the lake to soak in the beautiful weather. Roman has always been enthralled by the lake, though he thinks of it as an oversized bathtub so he doesn’t quite get that it is both dangerous and not as clean. My dad usually has to distract him from trying to climb in, and this weekend was no exception. Leave it to my dad to entertain Roman with bird calls...at least for a while.


Finally, back into the house for a change of clothes and some more food. Oh, if you weren’t aware, eating is a national pastime for Roman at Nana and Big Daddy’s. They tend to err on the side of, if he’s hovering around the pantry, it must mean he’s hungry! Did I mention that my older brother was 25 lbs at 6 months old? Don’t worry, Nana now practices “portion control” much better.

After a few meals and a few games, they all hit the sack pretty hard. That was never more apparent than the next morning, when my husband recorded this video of the sleeping prince….at 10:15am


Now, granted, he didn’t sleep from 8pm to 10:15, he woke at his usual 7:30am and then climbed in bed with Daddy to sleep some more. But I think its pretty indicative of the weekend when you see my overly active son complete conked out in bed late in the morning.


All weekend while I was gone, Maurice was shooting me these updates and photos and videos to my phone so I wouldn’t miss the fun. And while it was great to catch up with my friends at the U and reminisce over old times, I was all too pleased to get back to my “new” life and see my favorite men. Missed you guys!

No comments: